Spicy Ground Bison and Poached Eggs
Corn Cakes with Spicy Ground Bison and Poached Eggs
We love poached eggs and this recipe is easy enough to enjoy, but yet different enough to be a real treat for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 lb ground bison
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz fat free refried beans
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 5 egg
- 3 oz plain fat free, or reduced fat yogurt
- 12 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar of your favorite prepared salsa
- Cilantro for garnish
Ground Bison Mixture
- Season bison with garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the meat has crumbled, about 3 minutes.
- Add refried beans and continue cooking, stirring until the beans are hot and the bison is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Shut off stove and keep this mixture warm.
- Add box of Jiffy corn muffin mix to a mixing bowl with the egg, yogurt, and half of the thawed frozen corn. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix or you will have tough corn cakes!
- Cook the corn batter on a griddle as you would pancakes. Use a non stick spray so the corn cakes do not stick. Keep warm.
- Mix the remaining thawed frozen corn with the jar of salsa and set aside.
- Poach the eggs to your desired doneness. For 3 minute eggs, the yolk will still be runny and not cooked through. For 4-5 minute eggs, the yolk will have a firmer to fully cooked center.
- To serve: Place 1-2 corn cakes on serving plate. Scoop 5-6oz. of the seasoned bison mixture on top, and level a space to place the poached egg.
- Garnish with corn salsa and cilantro leaves.