Prime Rib with Chianti Sauce
Bison Prime Rib with Chianti Sauce and Cipollini Onions
The bold combination of robust Chianti, smoky roasted onions, and tart cherry tomatoes provides the perfect pairing for tender bison prime rib.
- 1 bison prime rib
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 Cipollini onions, ends and skin removed
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes, stems removed
- 1½ cup Chianti or any red wine
- 1½ cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp beef bouillon granules
- Preheat oven to 475°F for 30 minutes.
- While oven is preheating, season outside of prime rib with oil, and salt and pepper. Place prime rib in roasting pan, and put in preheated oven.
- Roast for 30 minutes, and then add onions. Continue roasting for an additional 15 minutes, and then reduce the oven to 200°F, and add cherry tomatoes.
- Continue to roast for 2 hours. Remove prime rib, onions, and tomatoes from oven and place on a platter.
- Place roasting pan on the stove top on medium to medium high heat, and pour the Chianti into the roasting pan. Using a wooden spoon, de-glaze the roasting pan by scraping all the brown pieces from the pan, cooking about 5 minutes.
- Pour wine and roasting juices from roasting pan carefully into a 4-quart sauce pan.
- Combine water and cornstarch until dissolved, and then add to roasting pan.
- Add bouillon to the sauce, stirring well. Bring sauce to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with sliced prime rib and roasted Cipollini onions and cherry tomatoes.