Hearty Bison & Barley Soup
Bison & Barley Soup
Enjoy this hearty soup as a late lunch or an early dinner. The velvety feel of the barley adds a lushness to the soup without the added calories of butter & cream.
- 1 lb ground bison
- ½ medium yellow onions, diced .25 inch
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, diced 1/4 inch
- 10 oz diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp Beef Bouillon (Better than Bouillon Brand)
- 1 cup medium, pearled Barley
- 2 qt water
- In large skillet, sauté ground bison until cooked throughout.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add canned tomatoes with juice, beef bouillon, and barley. Stir until the bouillon is partially dissolved.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Can be made a couple of days ahead. Soup always tastes better after the flavors have been allowed to marry.
- Freeze .5 of this batch, and use later when time is catching-up to you. Use within 6-9 months of freezing.